Pets for Patriots gets many requests that are beyond the scope of our mission, and offer the following resources for your information and convenience. Listing does not equal endorsement.
Rehoming or adopting out a pet
We are not a shelter or rescue, and are unable to accept donated animals under any circumstances. If you must re-home or otherwise adopt out a pet, please refer to this article.
Pets for Patriots helps veterans adopt companion pets only. If you both need and qualify for a service animal:
- Freedom Service Dogs
- Canine Companions for Independence
- America’s Vet Dogs
- 4 Paws for Ability
- Canine Assistants
- Patriot Paws
- Dogs for the Disabled
- Guide Dogs of America
- ECAD (Educated Canines Assisting with Disabilities)
- Guide Dogs for the Blind
- The Seeing Eye
- Guide Dog Foundation
- Canines for Service
Additional information about service/assistance animals:
- Difference between various assistance animals and companion pets
- Service dog tasks for psychiatric disabilities (including PTSD)
- General information about service dogs and Emotional Support Animals
Emotional Support Animals
Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) are companion pets that are prescribed by a mental health professional to alleviate the symptoms of an individual’s disability. They are not trained service animals; however, they do have limited access rights in housing and on commercial aircraft.
Veterans with a letter from their treating mental health professional for an ESA may adopt through Pets for Patriots.
- About Emotional Support Animals and housing
- Emotional Support Animals and housing, including sample letter from tenant requesting reasonable accommodation for an ESA and sample letter from mental health professional confirming individual is disabled in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law article: Right to Emotional Support Animal in “No Pet” Housing
- Flying with an Emotional Support Animal, including sample letter
If you are a veteran, veteran family member or caregiver in crisis, please contact the Veterans Crisis Line 24/7 for free, confidential assistance. Toll-free: 800-273-8255, Press 1.
Financial help with veterinary bills
Pets for Patriots operates a small veterinary fund exclusively for pets adopted by veterans in our program who experience a medical emergency or require extraordinary care; we are unable to fulfill requests from the general public. Click here for a list of organizations that help individuals with extraordinary veterinary expenses.
Pet foster care for deploying military or veterans in hardship
In addition to providing support to military personnel who deploy, these organizations are available to assist in hardship cases – such as homelessness, hospitalization or emergency – that render veterans temporarily unable to care for their pets. Pets for Patriots is a proud supporting partner of these two national nonprofit organizations:
Got a minute? You can help a veteran in crisis. Learn how you can #BeThere for veterans and service members.
Disaster and emergency preparedness
Do not wait for an emergency, natural or man-made disaster to occur before you have a care plan for your pets. Read our article on how to prepare and consult these resources from our friends at Red Rover:
Moving and traveling with pets
- Military One Source has excellent suggestions for military personnel who are moving/relocating with their pets.
- PetsWelcome is a searchable database of pet friendly lodging, vacation spots, pet day care and other pet-oriented travel advice.
- PCS and your pet
- Pilots N Paws: volunteer pilots who provide transport services for rescue animals and organizations.
- P.E.T.S. (Peterson Express Transport Services): rescue transport in the Southeast servicing the New England area. All trucks are climate-controlled and equipped with USDA-approval travel crates.
- Operation Roger: volunteer truckers who donate transport services for rescue animals.
Savings for military personnel and families
- MyMilitarySavings.com aggregates discounts available at military commissaries and exchanges.