Our main criteria is a motivated partner who wants to help hard-to-adopt animals in their charge, as well as the veterans and service members who live in their community. Pets for Patriots provides many tools to help our partners promote our program and the honorable adoptions that result, but we need you to make the partnership a success.
Not-for-profit shelters, SPCAs, humane societies, rescues, municipal shelters and veterinary clinics may be eligible. For-profit shelters, breeders and pet retailers are ineligible. After you fill out our brief online application, please send us your proof of tax exemption and confirmation of veterinary care for the animals in your charge as described below. And please read about our unique giving back requirement.
Please note that our partnership model is not conducive to rescues that adopt out over a wide geographic area. While you are welcome to complete our qualifying tour and apply, this will be a limiting factor in evaluating your candidacy to our program.
You are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization or a non-profit municipal shelter:
- If you are a 501(c)(3): copy of the first page of your IRS determination letter or state tax certificate, OR
- If you are a non-profit municipal shelter: letter from your shelter director on his/her letterhead describing how both taxpayer- and donor-directed funds are protected for use for shelter operations, and/or copy of the relevant section of your city’s municipal code describing the shelter’s non-profit status, AND
- If you use a veterinarian in your community: currently-dated letter signed by your primary veterinarian, on his/her letterhead, describing the type and frequency of medical care they provide the pets in your care, OR
- If medical care is provided by in-house/staff veterinarians: currently-dated letter signed by your executive director, president or CEO, on his/her letterhead, confirming that necessary medical care is provided by your organization’s veterinary staff
You are a veterinary hospital or clinic that offers pet adoption:
- Copy of your adoption contract, AND
- Currently-dated letter signed by your primary veterinarian, on his/her letterhead, describing the type and frequency of medical care they provide the pets in your facility and that any adoptions executed by your facility are not for profit-making purposes