Pets for Patriots gets many requests for information and services that are beyond the scope of our mission. We offer the following resources for your information and convenience.
Rehoming or adopting out a pet
We are not a shelter and are unable to accept donated animals under any circumstances. If you must rehome or otherwise adopt out a pet, please refer to this article.
Pets for Patriots helps veterans adopt companion pets only. For those individual who both need and qualify for a service animal, please contact:
- Freedom Service Dogs
- Canine Companions for Independence
- ECAD (Educated Canines Assisting with Disabilities)
Additional information about service/assistance animals:
- Difference between various assistance animals and companion pets
- Service dog tasks for psychiatric disabilities (including PTSD)
Emotional Support Animals
Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) are companion pets that are prescribed by a mental health professional to alleviate the symptoms of an individual’s disability. They are not trained service animals; however, they do have limited access rights in housing and on commercial aircraft.
- About Emotional Support Animals and housing
- Emotional Support Animals and housing, including sample letter requesting reasonable accommodation for an ESA
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law article: Right to Emotional Support Animal in “No Pet” Housing
- Flying with an Emotional Support Animal, including sample letter
Veterans with a letter from their treating mental health professional for an ESA may adopt through Pets for Patriots.
Financial help with veterinary bills
We often get requests for assistance with individuals’ veterinary bills when their dog or cat experiences either a medical emergency or requires extraordinary care, like surgery. Although we do not maintain a veterinary fund, there are excellent local and national resources available to qualifying pet owners. See this post for details.
Pet foster care for deploying military or veterans in hardship
In addition to providing support to military personnel who deploy, these organizations are available to assist in hardship cases, such as homelessness, hospitalization or emergency, that render a veteran temporarily unable to care for his or her pet. Pets for Patriots is a proud supporting partner of these two national nonprofit organizations:
Moving and traveling with pets
- Military One Source has excellent suggestions for military personnel who are moving/relocating with their pets.
- PetsWelcome is a searchable database of pet friendly lodging, vacation spots, pet day care and other pet-oriented travel advice.
- PCS and your pet
- Pilots N Paws: volunteer pilots who provide transport services for rescue animals and organizations.
- P.E.T.S. (Peterson Express Transport Services): rescue transport in the Southeast servicing the New England area. All trucks are climate-controlled and equipped with USDA-approval travel crates.
- Operation Roger: volunteer truckers who donate transport services for rescue animals.
Savings for military personnel and families
- MyMilitarySavings.com aggregates discounts available at military commissaries and exchanges.